There are days like this that I swear to forswear Facebook. Here are the messages that I woke up to:
1. Houssem Hossan says you are engaged. Please confirm this relationship status.
2. Hisham Mahfouz: Hi joy my fon number 01201215024.
3. Someone who calls himself Macho Steve, mistaking my smiley face for derisive laughter, calls me “Cunt!”
4. Fred Smith (not his real name, I’m sure) says, “You’re so sexy. I love you.”
5. A dick pic, more imaginative than most, set against a laptop screen, shows my own Facebook profile picture in the background.
6. Charlotte tells me, “I’ve lost my cat.” I didn’t know she had a cat.
7. Someone from China says: 喜的情人
8. Houssem has updated his relationship status to say that you two are engaged.
Who are these people?
I feel like I’m in some kind of fugue state.
Maybe I’m not who I think I am? Maybe my Facebook persona is someone else entirely. Maybe I’m living multiple lives in parallel universes.
Maybe…maybe…maybe… Suddenly I can’t get that Carl Rae Jepson song put of my head.
Maybe it’s more profound than I ever imagined. For “maybe” equals contingency, variations on a theme (as in a musical fugue), known unknowns, the primacy of uncertainty, the reality of quantum physics.…
Certainty, on the other hand, more often than not means ignorance. So if I don’t feel like I know who I am anymore, that’s a good sign…maybe.